[vox-tech] installation broken packages

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Dec 7 09:16:46 PST 2007

Carl Boettiger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some broken packages which apt-get (also aptitude, synaptic,
> adept_manager, dpkg) refuse to fix.  Any idea what's wrong?
>
> apt-get -f install decides xine-ui is no fully installed.  dpkg
> identifes the package as being in a bad state:
>
> cboettig at wiglaf:~$ sudo dpkg -r xine-ui
> dpkg: error processing xine-ui (--remove):
>  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>  xine-ui
>

> However, any attempt to remove, reinstall, or reconfigure xine-ui with
> dpkg or any apt program fails.  The error I keep getting is
> cboettig at wiglaf:~$ dpkg-reconfigure xine-ui
> Unrecognized character \xDE at /usr/share/perl/5.8/strict.pm line 1.

Looks like at least this file is corrupted.  If only a few files
are corrupted you might be able to extract this file from the deb
file or the deb source and manually replace this file, and repeat until
the process starts working.

Or, you can start backing up while the system still works and then
run hardware diagnostics to insure your hard disk is functioning
and then re-install.

Or, someone else may suggest something between these extremes...

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing