[vox-tech] GPS logging and linux.

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 2 10:19:10 PST 2007

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 07:41:34 pm Bill Broadley wrote:
>> Just wanted to mention to anyone interested.  The i-blue 747 works quite
>> well with linux.  I avoided it in the past because the only driver I could
>> find was windows.
>
> Thanks for the post Bill. I have been thinking about getting something like
> this for path logging, but wanted to make sure that it would work well with
> linux. Currently I am using an old Garmin GPS 12, which can only record 1024
> track points- usually enough for a single day's hike.

The unit claims 16k points, not sure what it's recording though.  There's
a dozen or so messages you can turn on and off.

> Have you tried any of the other tools for working with GPS data out there:
> gpsd

No, but I plan to tinker with it on the Nokia 800 I should get soon, I believe
it uses gpsd.

> gpsbabel

Yup tons.  Maemo mapper -> gpx -> gpsbabel -> kml -> google earth.  I've also
written a few things to pull out distance/speed over time from a track:
http://broadley.org/bill/Altitude-over-time.png

> gpstrans

Maybe.

> Thanks for the review- I know what I am getting for Christmas this year!

There's a similar unit with the same chipset, double the memory, but it was
a good bit more expensive ($90 vs $60).

BTW, it charges via usb and comes with *gasp* 3 cables, car charger, wall
charger, and usb -> gps data cable and charger.  I've not tested this one but
I've had excellent battery life with the 737.  On the order of 30 hours
running, and 300 hours sleeping.  It happily wakes up and gets a lock within
40 seconds or so when I turn on my 770, goes to sleep when it loses the BT
connection.