[vox-tech] GPS logging and linux.

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 1 19:41:34 PST 2007

Just wanted to mention to anyone interested.  The i-blue 747 works quite well
with linux.  I avoided it in the past because the only driver I could find was
windows.

Some 16KB of storage leaves it a fair bit of room for logging, and you can
specify time rates, min distance, or min speed for storing results.  You can
also control what is logged.

The unit gets substantially better reception than others I've tried, works in
my living room (not near a window) and even inside various buildings like
Sophia's.  The accuracy drops of course, but I've never seen the results get
too far off.

I'm using (command line and perl):
http://www.rigacci.org/wiki/doku.php/doc/appunti/hardware/gps_logger_i_blue_747

But if java and ugly GUIs are your thing:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747

In any case if you wanted a GPS to record tracks but didn't want to carry a
fragile pda with limited battery life (like say a nokia 770) on a mountain
bike ride you could use this and record a track like:
	http://broadley.org/bill/yum-tahoe-epic.png

It even has a button for recording POIs.