[vox-tech] Installation woes

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Wed Aug 1 11:29:14 PDT 2007

P=E5 2007-08-01, skrev John Marcotte:
> I am attempting to refurbish an old Intel L440GX+ -based dual P-III serve=
r.
> It is currently running an outdated version of Debian. I wanted to Install
> Ubuntu Server on it.
> =

> When I installed Debian, I had to jump through some hoops, because as I
> recall, the Adaptec SCSI chip on the motherboard was not supported. I thi=
nk
> I had to either hack the ISO, or maybe make some sort of boot floppy.
> =

> Well five years of driver developments did not help this situation. Ubuntu
> will not install. It just freezes shortly after loading the kernel. I
> suspect it is the same issue. The passing of time has made good informati=
on
> about this board even harder to find. Not as many people still have one, =
so
> I can't find instructions on how to fix the problem.
> =

> I think it has an Adaptec AIC7896/97 chipset that is causing the trouble.
> Does anyone have any advice on how to get past this install issue?

I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much more
reliable than the GUI installer.

You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment within
your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the regular
bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on this method if
you choose to use it.

-- =

Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13