[vox-tech] DNS MX Record Woes

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Fri Apr 27 10:43:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:03:03AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Marc Elliot Hall (marc at hallmarc.net):
>
> > When I check all my DNS settings (external DNS for this domain is
> > handled by register.com), I don't see any problems -- even dnsreport.com
> > and mxtoolbox.com agree that my settings are good.
>
> It's the reverse DNS.  IIRC, no RFC requirement exists that MTA host's
> forward and reverse DNS _must_ match, but craigslist isn't the only site
> to apply this measure, anyway.
>
> I'd personally insist on using a commectivity provider that allows me to
> have appropriate reverse-zone values.  Note that this doesn't
> _necessarily_ require delegating authority to you, nor giving you edit
> access to the zonefile:  It would suffice for a provider to be receptive
> to your "please use the following lines for the reverse zone entries for
> my CIDR block" e-mail.
>
> E.g., to use...
>
> 126	IN	PTR	mail.hallmarc.net.
>
> ...in swbell.net's zonefile for DNS zone 38.129.70.in-addr.arpa .
>
> A reasonable provider will be willing to do that for you.  (Mine did.)
> I concur that swbell.net probably won't, which is one reason why in your
> shoes I'd try that, escalate to a supervisor when they say "no", and, if
> that still doesn't work, take my business elsewhere.

I'm pleased to report that - after only modest amounts of effort - I was
able to get AT&T (controlling co. for att.net/swbell.net/sbcglobal.net
etc.) to configure their DNS to correctly report my IP's reverse lookup
value as mail.hallmarc.net.

For those AT&T customers who are following along, their contact number
*for DNS issues only* is 800-833-2120.

I suggest calling ahead, but eventually they'll ask that you send your
request to prov-dns at att.com, including the customer name, contact phone,
dsl phone, IP address, and the domain you'd like the IP to resolve back
to. They promise 24-72 hours turnaround, although my request was
answered in a little less than 17 (not including waiting for the DNS
servers to update and propagate).

And, yes, craigslist accepted my email message when I resent it :-)

--
Marc Elliot Hall
621 River Moss Drive