[vox-tech] DNS MX Record Woes

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Thu Apr 26 08:02:16 PDT 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 07:10, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
> The message bounced, and I got this from my mail server:
>
> ============================
>                         The Postfix program
>
> <job-302677684 at craigslist.org>: host mxi2s.craigslist.org[66.150.243.2] said:
>     554 <adsl-70-129-38-126.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net[70.129.38.126]>: Client host
>     rejected: Please use SMTP relay of your ISP or setup non-generic DNS (in
>     reply to RCPT TO command)
[remainder deleted]

I would guess it's either the reverse lookup, or you are showing up on
one of the DNS-based blocklists that tracks "residential" IP space.
Probably the former, given the wording of the rejection.

IMO Craigslist is not handling this very well, especially considering
its focus as a consumer-centric service.  It seems the heavy flood of
spam in recent months is causing some administrators to make poor
decisions.

Consider switching to an ISP that lets you customize the reverse
lookup.  I use DSLExtreme which does this.

In the meantime if you (or anyone) would like a gmail invite, just let
me know.

Rod