[vox-tech] The incredible moving ethernet adapter

Jeffrey Nonken jjn.lugod at nonken.net
Mon Apr 23 14:06:30 PDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Bob Scofield wrote:

> 1)  The thought the MAC address was set by the card itself.

Well, kinda sorta. "The card" in this case is some chips built onto
the motherboard. The MAC address is burned into flash or EEPROM or
something somewhere on the card, normally, and read into RAM or
stuffed into registers at powerup. But since the interface is
integrated onto the motherboard there's no reason it can't be part of
the BIOS.

> 2)  I thought BIOS flashing was dangerous enough that one should do
> it only
> when necessary.

Well, kinda sorta. Flashing the ROM on a machine via firmware running
on that machine (which is what the average user has to do) is sort of
like trying to do brain surgery on yourself. However, the factory
usually has an external device that does the job with the system
powered down and does not depend on anything running on the machine.

More like somebody else doing brain surgery on you. The difference
being that if the factory tech screws it up, he can just re-run the
procedure. And, well, they can't REALLY shut you down for the brain
surgery. Thus does my analogy fall apart if you examine it too
closely. I'm going to walk away now, whistling and looking nonchalant.

> 3)  Why would IBM flash the BIOS on a hinge repair job?  Just to be
> nice?

Maybe it's a standing order to, when they get their grubby paws on a
system, a) upgrade that particular BIOS due to a bug or some such, or
b) upgrade ANY system BIOS to the latest.

Or could be the tech was bored that day. :)