[vox-tech] Shutting off tap-to-click on a Sony Vaio VGN-N270E laptop running Ubuntu Edgy

Issac Trotts issac.trotts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 15:25:57 PDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Ken Bloom <kbloom at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 18:59, Issac Trotts wrote:
> > Ubuntu mostly works great on this laptop, except that wireless access
> > required writing a script and by default the tap-to-click misfeature
> > is enabled.  Wireless is working fine now, but I haven't yet figured
> > how to remove tap-to-click.
> >
> > The touchpad is an ALPS GlidePoint
> > (http://www.alps.co.jp/index_e.htm), or at least that's what I gather
> > from inserting some printk's into the mouse driver and running dmesg.
> >  This is confirmed by cat /proc/bus/input/devices, which says among
> > other things
> >

> I think it's a matter of getting the right driver for the right device.
>

> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/15/fixing-my-alps-touchpad-with-the-s=
ynaptics-driver/
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3D78904
>
> also have a look at the xorg.conf files for my laptop available from
> http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/Compaq_Presario_v2310us
>
> --Ken

Thanks, that did the trick.  I had to remove
/etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe to get the ALPS GlidePoint to show up as
itself in /proc/bus/input/devices rather than as a generic PS/2 mouse.  Then
I inserted this stuff into my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "ALPS"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "AlwaysCore"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
Option "Protocol" "event"
Option "LeftEdge" "120"
Option "RightEdge" "830"
Option "TopEdge" "120"
Option "BottomEdge" "650"
Option "FingerLow" "14"
Option "FingerHigh" "15"
Option "MaxTapTime" "0"  # was 180.  Set to 0 to disable tap-to-click
Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
Option "ClickTime" "0"
Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.45"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"
Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
Option "CircularScrolling" "0"
Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen        "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
#    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice    "ALPS"
EndSection

Even without "Configured Mouse" it still detects my USB mouse.

One thing that's a little strange is that sometimes the touchpad shows up on
event2 and sometimes on event3.  Not sure how to deal with that...

-ijt