[vox-tech] Downloading Deb Packages for Kubuntu

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Apr 3 13:16:29 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:09:31PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> Thanks Rod.  I'm new to Kubuntu.  I should probably get a book.  I've just
> read on the web that I can uncomment this repository in apt.sources.list.
> This will be a project for tonight.

What's neat is you can either edit /etc/apt/sources.list manually,
or you can use Adept Package Manager to manage your repositories.
The commented ones appear in grey, and you can click them and click an
"Enable" button to uncomment them.

Adept Notifier is nice, too.  It appears in your KDE panel's systray and
tells you when package updates are available.  Click it, enter your
password, and an Adept Updater window will appear that downloads and
installs the updates for you.

Been playing a little with Adept's application installer, which provides
a more user-oriented view of packages.  Pick from KDE, GNOME, or All (or
something like that), and choose from applications categorized into
different sections (like Educational, Graphics, etc.)  It's a bit less
overwhelming than the regular Adept package manager, which shows you
_everything_ (including libraries, etc.).

One weird thing I noticed is it often doesn't launch right away.
I have to go to K menu and click it again, _then_ I get asked for
a password by kdesu, and then the app launches.  (This is with Eft on my
wife's new X41.)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/