[vox-tech] Wireless wonders - iwconfig (device) essid (ESSID) not registering

Wade Pinkston blata at extent0006.entomology.ohio-state.edu
Mon Apr 2 06:50:10 PDT 2007

When it does this to me I go and manually edit the ifcfg-wlan0 file.
Usually that will get it done and behaving correctly.

Richard Burkhart wrote:
> Yesterday evening I (and a number of other people at the Saturday
> installfest) wrestled the dread ndiswrapper demons and got broadcom
> wireless cards operational ... notice how I said it was operational
> *yesterday*.  I can't get the bloody thing online now.
>
> How I got online yesterday, after assembling ndiswrapper, and attaching
> the windows driver:
> - disable (rmmod) the linux native broadcom driver (bcm43xx -- it didn't
> work)
> - modprobe ndiswrapper
> - iwconfig eth2 essid (essid of router at yesterday's IF)
> - ifconfig eth2 up (if it wasn't already)
> - dhclient eth2
>
> Today:
> - disable native driver (tried both rmmod (driver) and putting the
> driver name into the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file)
> - iwconfig eth2 essid "multi word name" key "key"
> - ifconfig eth2 up (if it wasn't already)
> - dhclient eth2 (or ifup eth2 - I'd already filled the config data into
> /etc/network/interfaces)
>
> Symptoms / issues
> - The dhcp request (dhclient) didn't work ... it tries several times,
> then shuts down
> - When I request a list from 'iwconfig eth2'
>       - The key is in the interface info list
>       - The essid is NOT in the list -- and doesn't show up no matter
> how many times I enter it, or if I try to enter a different single-word
> essid as a test
> - The card is working.  I can scan local access points with iwlist eth2,
> and pull data on the nearest two.  One of these is the household router
> that's 5 feet away from me on the other side of a wall.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition