[vox-tech] dual-boot machine / vmware / SATA drives...

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 11:48:54 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

recently purchased a new machine for the lab, and have plan on using it for
the following :

two SATA drives, one with WinXP the other with Debian Linux.

Right now it boots into Linux by default, and will provide remote-login
services among other things to our lab members. The Windows XP install was
going to be accessed via VMware, with linux as the host operating system of
course, for people who actually sit down at the machine. I was planning on
accessing the first SATA disk in raw mode as opposed to creating a virtual
disk for windows to live in. however, according to the vmware docs, raw
access mode will not work with SCSI disks. with kernel 2.6 SATA devices
appears as SCSI devices- so it seems that this approach will not work.

one possible work-around would be to dump windows on the first disk, format
with ext3, and create a large VMware virtual disk in its place. This option
should work fine.

one small problem (?) -- my bootloader (grub) is stored in the MBR of the
first SATA disk, will re-partitioning this disk destroy the MBR ? and if so,
how can i safely restore it ?

any comments / thoughts -- I am pretty sure that the above is reasonable, but
I would sure appreciate any other options!

thanks!

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis