[vox-tech] partitioning

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Sun Sep 24 21:12:07 PDT 2006

Greetings:
I decided to reinstall due to major system faults that I didn't know how to
recover from.  I have been dabbling with different distros for a solid month
now.  Partitioning is new and dangerous territory for me but I'm not afraid
of living dangerously.

Found a very cool and lightweight partitioning live cd
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php that uses gnome.  Using this disk
I first wiped out the partitions and had 12g unallocated space. Then
partitioned 9g to ext3, 2g to swap and the rest to unused.  Once done I
noticed that the program showed that there was still data in the first
partition (yellow bar-key denotes data-forgot size).

Experimenting I then booted to this and found that the boot manager lilo was
still there.  So with this I then used fdisk that I had from an old win95
boot disk.  I deleted all the partitions and had 12g unallocated space,
booted and saw unable to boot medium string on the screen.  Since win95
fdisk only partitions in dos I rebooted my live gnome partition cd and made
ext 9g partition, 2g swap partition, and the rest partitioned but not w/ any
file system.

I then booted my hard drive and sure enough there was lilo being all
powerful and defiant with graphics and all.  It even tried to boot, showing
a picture of my little dog that I previously configd for non verbose loading
in the background, but came up with a kernel error and system froze.

Is it that data doesn't get erased until written over or does the boot
loader, and other files, reside someplace else?  Is there a good way to
completly remove all data, boot loaders included?  Does installing a new OS
overwrite all info if all space is used?  I was quite shocked to see my
little dog covering my screen when I thought I deleted all info!

Worried that exisiting data could corrupt new installation.

Thank you in advance,
Jimbo