[vox-tech] jpilot restore and rechargable batteries

Mark K. Kim lugod2 at cbreak.org
Fri Sep 22 15:06:57 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:08:12PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> btw, are there any strategies for keeping rechargable batteries in good
> health?  i seem to recall something about letting them drain all the way
> before recharging them (no partial charging), however, i can't remember if
> that was for a particular type of rechargable or even if i'm remembering
> that correctly.

I've heard different sources (websites, people, etc.) say different
things.  However, the conservative strategies are as follows for the
various types of rechargeable batteries, with some background.  They're
mostly my observations and what I've seen at various websites and heard
people in the engineering field say:

  - NiCd: Pronounced "Ni-Cad" or "Nickle Cadmium", it is the oldest
    technology.  My observation is that it's mostly been phased out in
    favor of NiMH, but it's still used in cheap electronics such as my
    Sonicare toothbrush.  ** It really should be discharged almost all
    the way before recharging to the max **, even though my Sonicare
    manual says to keep it charged.  There are old ways to "re-animate"
    NiCd batteries that died from not recharging properly by shocking
    them properly, but I doubt Sonicare charger does that.

  - NiMH: Pronounced "Nickle Metal" for short or "Nickle Metal Hydride",
    it's a little better technology than NiCd.  ** The conservatives say
    to discharge it almost all the way before recharging to the max **,
    although when it first came out it was touted for not needing to do
    that.  Observation says to discharge it almost all the way.  This
    type of battery is in some cheaper batteries in cell phones and
    laptops, but most brands use Li-Ion now.  All rechargable AA
    batteries I've seen use NiMH these days, I'm guessing because it can
    be made in that size whereas Li-Ion can't?  I'm not sure about that
    so don't quote me on it.

  - Li-Ion: Pronounced "Lithium Ion", it's the newest technology out of
    the three.  ** Conservatives say it's okay to recharge mid-way with
    occasional conditioning by discharging almost all the way then
    recharging to the full **.  Liberals say it's okay to recharge
    whenever.  It's in most of today's laptops, cell phones, digital
    cameras, and I think the iPod also has these.

Next stop: Carbon nano-tube capacitors. (Still under research.)

-Mark