[vox-tech] why does HAL hate me

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Sep 21 06:18:57 PDT 2006

I ran into this too recently.  Problem seems to be an issue of your user
being a member of the right groups.  On my distro (Arch) once I added
myself to the groups "optical" and "storage" and then (important!)
either logged out or rebooted (I can't remember which) the problem went
away.

Depdending on what distro you're using, the group names may be different
(e.g., I think Debian might have a group "hal" that you might need to
add yourself to) but once you get yourself added to the right groups
(and reboot!) the problem should go away.

BTW, there's some info to be found by googling on the text of that Hal
error message.

HTH,

DR