[vox-tech] aptitude problems after a couple dist-upgrades

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 10:51:25 PDT 2006

You probably have a mismatch between distribution versions.
There are two ways to name debian releases and they move
with respect to each other whenever a new version is released.
i.e., at some point sarge was testing and later it became stable
But the install likely set up your sources.list to point at unstable
rather than explicitly pointing to sarge. So when you did a
apt-get dist-upgrade, you were actually trying to jump a whole
release. This has been known to create the crap you are seeing.
I'm not sure how to fix this except to start over and before you
do the dist-upgrade, be sure your sources.list is pointing
explicitly to sarge. Once you have the latest sarge, you can change
your sources.list and move to etch, if you want to. You could
of course just stay with sarge.
Richard