[vox-tech] Special Character Issues in a web page

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Sep 20 10:06:04 PDT 2006

This may be a dumb question, but can the backslash character be used to denote
special characters on a webpage under some circumstances in addition to the
ampersand?  I'm asking because as I review some of our old pages, some of our
Spanish text pages seem to use, say, \351 to refer to the accented o
character instead of ó or even &#351.  Strangely, when I worked on
these pages in a text editor, those characters were rendered as strange
characters, nothing like what they were supposed to be.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Editor In Chief at Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Check out the Cthulhu Wiki: http://www.mossroot.com/cthulhuwiki
AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope at gmail.com
Skype/Gizmo: underpope
"You can't trust your judgement when your imagination is out of focus."
		(Mark Twain)