[vox-tech] best debian kernel package

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 19 12:18:36 PDT 2006

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> hi,
>
> just got a dual dual-code opteron machine, and wondering which debian package
> to install...
>
> would the  linux-image-2.6.16-2-k7-smp package run this machine in 32bit mode?
> i don't really want to run it in 64bit mode yet.
>
> anyone have any experience with this hardware on debian ?
>
> thanks!

I wish I had experience with Dual Opterons. Looking at the K7 info I'd
say try it, but I've seen a few people who can't get it to work, someone
did suggest this in a forum I looked at so you can try it and see if it
works.

I wouldn't shy away from the 64bit though, I've been running Ubuntu with
amd64-k8 for almost 2 years now and it's plenty stable. The trick is for
some programs where 32bit is the only thing available and I don't
feeling like compiling it myself I run a 32bit install in a chroot folder.
It's a gamers trick to run wine and other 32bit only stuff:
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/index.php?title=Ubuntu

I can attest that I do run many things this way while I wait for 64bit
packages to come out. It's pretty easy to link it so it launches from
you normal menus or command line.

Alex