[vox-tech] Apache reinstallation failing

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 05:30:38 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 21:38, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I'm having nothing but grief trying to get Apache reinstalled on a
> Kubuntu server I've been building.  I installed Apache, then
> mistakenly installed Apache2 on top of that, then tried to uninstall
> both, not knowing that --reinstall was not an option with apt-get
> install.  Plenty of files were deleted manually, problems arose,
> hilarity failed to ensue.  Now when I try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get --reinstall install apache2
>
> apt tells me that Apache2 is being installed, but there are no
> /var/log files for Apache, and when I try to launch apache2 with
> /etc/init.d/apache2 start, there's no output, and Apache simply
> doesn't start.  When I tried recently to simply install Apache (not
> 2), I got the following:

Apache2 is a dummy package, which exists only for the purpose of pulling
in other dependancies, so running --reinstall on it will reinstall only
the few documentation files that it contains, which are required by
debian packaging policy. (--reinstall doesn't automatically reinstall a
package's dependancies) Find the other apache packages that it pulled
in and run apt-get --reinstall install on those. The packges that dpkg
listed for you: apache2-mpm-prefork, apache2-utils, apache2-common are
the ones you need to reinstall.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/