[vox-tech] Apache reinstallation failing

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Sep 13 19:38:44 PDT 2006

I'm having nothing but grief trying to get Apache reinstalled on a Kubuntu
server I've been building.  I installed Apache, then mistakenly installed
Apache2 on top of that, then tried to uninstall both, not knowing
that --reinstall was not an option with apt-get install.  Plenty of files
were deleted manually, problems arose, hilarity failed to ensue.  Now when I
try:

$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install apache2

apt tells me that Apache2 is being installed, but there are no /var/log files
for Apache, and when I try to launch apache2 with /etc/init.d/apache2 start,
there's no output, and Apache simply doesn't start.  When I tried recently to
simply install Apache (not 2), I got the following:

deguser at the-matrix:/var/log
$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install apache
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  apache-doc
  apache
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 385kB of archives.
After unpacking 827kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/universe apache
1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1 [385kB]
Fetched 385kB in 3s (125kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package apache.
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-mpm-prefork'
missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-utils' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache2-common' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `apache-common' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.
71621 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking apache (from .../apache_1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up apache (1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line
12: /usr/share/apache/postinst.common: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing apache (--configure):
 apache

Can anyone lead me on the road to recovery here?

Editor In Chief at Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Check out the Cthulhu Wiki: http://www.mossroot.com/cthulhuwiki
AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope at gmail.com
Skype/Gizmo: underpope
"You can't trust your judgement when your imagination is out of focus."
		(Mark Twain)