[vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Sep 12 08:37:43 PDT 2006

On Tue 12 Sep 06,  8:20 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken <jjn_lugod at nonken.net> said:

> Not all sound cards are designed to drive speakers directly. If yours
> is not, you're essentially trying to drive speakers with line level
> outputs. That would explain the tinny sound. (Also you're trying to
> drive a low-impedence device with a higher impedence output.)

Thanks for the reply.  What are some excellent sound card with respect to
sending signals to a stereo?  I don't mind buying a great sound card; I just
don't know what I should be looking for.

Also, what exactly is "line level".  I assume "speaker level" means a signal
with enough power delivery to drive a standard 8-ohm speaker?  I'm
embarrassingly unknowledgable about this subject.  If you know of any good
reading that can get me up to speed quickly (just purchased a home stereo
theater).

Many thanks!
Pete

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p at dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p