[vox-tech] audio - soundcard to stereo

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Thu Sep 7 21:15:19 PDT 2006

On Thu 07 Sep 06,  8:59 PM, Mark K. Kim <lugod2 at cbreak.org> said:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:39:30PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > i recently hooked up the speaker output on my soundcard to my livingroom
> > stereo amplifier.  the result, as they say in french, sucks big time.
> [snip details]
>
> Can you draw an ASCII diagram of how they are connected, the cable
> type(s) used to connect them, and how long each cable is approximately?
>
> Also, where does the computer's sound output go into the stereo?  And
> the stereo has a separate volume control, correct?
>
> -Mark

Yeah.  It's pretty simple---looks something like this:

  3.5 mm plug          RCA stereo plug

***                    ----***
***--------------------|   ***
***                    ----***

computer                   stereo

The cable itself is approximately 5 feet long.  One side is a 3.5mm plug
(which goes to the soundcard output - the same output I use for the computer
speakers).  The other side is split into two phone RCA plugs (one red, one
white for left and right stereo output).

The stereo has a separate volume control.  To get rid of the distortion, I
have to turn the computer mixer down all almost the way and use the stereo
volume control to play with the volume.

I suppose it could be a crappy soundcard.  I'm actually using an onboard
chipset of a cheap motherboard.  If what I'm doing is supposed to work, I
don't mind throwing a nice soundcard in.  But before I disconnect all these
wires, I wanna make sure it's supposed to work first.  It's a mess of wires
back there.  :)

Thanks!
Pete

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p at dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p