[vox-tech] grub booting

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 12:01:34 PDT 2006

I assume that you ran grub as part of the pephis install.
First, I would note that it should be possible to mount the debian
partition(s) under mephis. This would allow you to copy over
or make back-ups (What a thought!) If debian was installed on a single
partition then when you mount it, you can see all the "root stuff", like
/usr/bin and /lib but of course you will still be running the versions
from mephis.
As far as booting -- you need to look at the file /boot/grub/menu.lst
You will need to modify this file to add a stanza for debian. This will be a
bit tricky as you can learn the form of the stanza by the one for mephis
but you will need the exact values to insert. One way is to look at
the menu.lst for debian. This should be at /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst if you
mounted the debian partition at /mnt
Make a backup first as this is easy to screw up.

Richard Harke