[vox-tech] spam current events

Ryan cjg5ehir02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Sep 2 10:40:17 PDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 02:15 pm, Bob Scofield scofield-at-omsoft.com
|lugod| wrote:
> On Thursday 31 August 2006 13:51, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > the gif image itself is mostly white with a few colored "threads" here
> > and there.  i certainly don't see any text, so i'm not quite sure what
> > their purpose is.  perhaps it's some kind of virus?
> >
> > anyone else seeing these things?  i'm getting them a few times a day now.
>
> I'm getting these every day.  I'm getting them on my e-mail account I use
> on Linux, and not on my e-mail business account which I use with Windows
> 98.  So as a result I'm not getting a report from Norton on whether the
> .gif is a virus.
>
> I was thinking of forwarding one of these to my business e-mail address to
> see if Norton would detect a virus on it.  But then it occurred to me that
> it might be illegal to "knowingly" transmit a virus over the net.

That would be a violation of the First Amendment.  Viral code is protected
speech.  Now, sending this code to people who don't want it, or trying to
infect people is bad, but there's nothing wrong with sending it around for
analisys/research.

--
Ryan Castellucci - http://ryanc.org/