[vox-tech] OT: gzip support on windows/mac

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 29 12:41:35 PST 2006

Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):

> >I think pretty much everyone has winzip.  You can download it for
> >free, and I don't think the demo expires.  It just nags.
>
> 7-zip has the same caveats(minus the nagging).

Also minus the illegality (and impropriety) of using WinZip past its
45-day evaluation period without registering.

I know using software in violation of the authors' licence terms just
because you can is nearly universal in the MS-Windows world, but the
open-source world's ethos has always been:  Since we don't like your
poxy proprietary licences, we'll either do without or write our own,
thanks.