[vox-tech] querying postgres from php

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 11:46:29 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

i have a large postgres table, that i am querying from php: specifically:

1. query the rule classes associated with a given ID
2. query for a set of rules within a given class
3. for each rule, query the reasons why that rule is enforced

this results in about 60 'select ...' statements. Watching the queries as they
are run from pgtop, i notice that they run serially and not all that fast.

Running the same set of queries from the psql command line client takes about
5 seconds max. Therefore, I think that the problem may be in the overhead
involved in executing each query- or some PHP/Apache thing. I have a full set
of indices built on this table, and using 'explain query ...' yields no 'seq
scans', suggesting (i think) efficient use of the indices.

Any thoughts on how one might approach this issue ?

thanks in advance,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis