[vox-tech] VMware and usb disks

Donald G. McGahan dgmcgahan at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 4 18:57:29 PST 2006

Dylan,
I've had this happen as well and discovered that I tried to plug in the USB device when the virtual machine was not the focus causing the host to pick it up.
Could it be passably that simple?
DiG McGahan
bigochemistry UCDaivs
dig.soilman at yahoo.com

Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com> wrote: Hi everyone,

I have a machine running linux and vmware, with a virtual machine running
windows. I find that the first time i plug in a usb key I am able to access
it from the virtual machine. every subsequent time i find that the
usb_storage kernel driver in linux takes over and I cannot access the device
in the virtual machine.

is there any good way to tell hal / hotplug not to load the driver when VMware
is running >?

thanks in advance!

--
Dylan Beaudette