[vox-tech] at my wit's end

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 2 01:04:47 PST 2006

Norm Matloff wrote:
> I just bought a new machine, an HP with an Athlon 64-bit CPU.  I
> tried to install Fedora Core 5, then Mandriva and even Knoppix.
> The problem is my Ethernet connection.
>
> I have an unusual situation at home, since we use Powerline (i.e.
> connection through the household electric grid) as our LAN, and that
> appears to be the problem.  If I connect this new machine directly to
> the router through an Ethernet cable, I connect to the Internet just
> fine.  But if I connect via Powerline (Ethernet cable connects to a
> device which is plugged into any electric socket), I get nothing.
>
> I've tried various ways to get the network started manually, and they
> all fail.  Under Core 5, I tried things like
>
> $ service network start
>
> and get an error message something like "eth0: no IPv6 router present."
> I just tried running dhclient by hand under Mandriva, and got a message
> "eth0:  unknown hardware address type 24."
>
> Please note that I've been using Powerline for several years without any
> problems.  My old machine, running Fedora Core 3, which I'd been using
> until this week, connected through it just fine.  I just tried
> connecting my laptop, running Fedora Core 4, through Powerline, and it
> worked fine too.  And again, note that if I connect the new machine
> directly to the router, it is fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Norm Matloff

Norm, what do you get from ifconfig? are you positive that the network
services aren't turned on?

Just a stab in the dark, try to disable Ipv6
"To disable IPV6: As root, you must add the line: "alias net-pf-10 off"
(without quotes)
to the end of your /etc/modprobe.conf file.
-OR-
Quick solution:
[root at charon fc3]# echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
A reboot is required.
"
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.html#ipv6

alternate way
"Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d called blacklist-ipv6
The file should contain:
# Disable IPv6
blacklist ipv6
Reboot, and IPv6 will no longer be enabled on the system. You can
confirm with:
/sbin/ifconfig -a
"

Alex