[vox-tech] K3B problem

Jan W jcwynholds at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 14:37:19 PDT 2006

--- "Micah J. Cowan" <micah at cowan.name> wrote:

<snip>
> I was thinking that might not be enough on some setups. Don't some
> desktops actually use "helper daemons" of their own, or somesuch, to
> achieve the desired automounting? Or do they all just use autofs at
> some
> level?

I believe the way that those KDE/Gnome thingys work is that they see if
autofs is running, then use it.  If not, then the autofs utilities
provided by the [gui-autofs-thingy] do not work.  But in short, yes, I
think the guis all use facilities provided by autofs.  I could be
wrong, but at least, when I turn off the autofs, the automounty-type
thingys in KDE don't work anymore (e.g. the CD icon showing up on the
desktop when I insert a CD into the drive, and Konqueror opening the
contents of the CD)...

The autofs thing is a problem for those that wish to burn CD/DVD.  I
set up the burning stations here at work, and turning off autofs is now
part of my installation process.  (I could use a custom kickstart to
not install the rpms, but there are network drives that we sometimes
mount via autofs, so I just turn off the service, b/c sometimes they do
use autofs, and it's easy to start and stop for single use).

Is that clear?

Damn.  That's a long explanation.  How did I get so long-winded? :)

--jan

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Accepting Nobel Peace Prize, Dec. 10, 1964