[vox-tech] ip tables questions

boombox boombox at cokeaholic.com
Mon May 15 04:16:32 PDT 2006

1.
Looks to me like the “–s” in front of the source ip is missing. Not sure
if that is it.

I would write the rule like this:
iptables -t filter -A INPUT -i <server-ip> -s 123.456.789.0/24 -j DROP

2.
Your iptables will not survive a system reboot. You need to make a script
that adds the rules you want and run it at startup. It’s a good idea to
make the script from the beginning so you don’t have to type in the
commands over and over again.

3.
Iptables apply the rules sequentially. You are able to deny all and then
only allow what you want.

In your example, you would probably allow all access to port 80, and then
drop all connections from the IP-addresses in your ban list. Of course,
depending on which list is bigger, your allow-list or your ban-list.

You shouldn’t be too worried about locking yourself out, as long as you
have local access. You will probably lock yourself out a bunch of times
while testing this out, which is why you don’t want to be doing it if you
only have remote access.

As long as you have local access you can always flush the rules with the
following commands:

iptables -F
iptables -t filter -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -P FORWARD ACCEPT

It is a good idea to have your rules in a script from the beginning. Run
your script and test if it works. If something went wrong, you make
corrections to your script, flush iptables, and run your script again.

HTH and please correct me if I am wrong :)

-boombox