[vox-tech] Debfoster to aptitude

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon May 8 07:03:43 PDT 2006

For anyone who's been wanting to start using aptitude's automatically
installed package tracking features to keep their system cruft free,
now's the time. I got a note from debconf while dist-upgrading this
morning:

> Debfoster is deprecated!
>
> As of 2006-01-01, debfoster is officially deprecated: aptitude offers
> the same functionality as debfoster but is integrated into the apt
> system. Debfoster is no longer maintained upstream, and will be
> removed from Debian in the future.
>
> To convert your debfoster data to the aptitude database, a conversion
> tool is included in the debfoster package: simply run
> `debfoster2aptitude' to update aptitude's database with debfoster's
> data.

If you're using debfoster regularly, all you need to do is run
debfoster2aptitude to switch over. You probably want to run debfoster
first to make sure it has the most recent decisions all of your
currently installed packages.

If you're not using debfoster, install debfoster, run debfoster, then
run debfoster2aptitude.

This is a utility that's been too long in coming.

--Ken Bloom