[vox-tech] P4 and SuSE X86-64

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 20:50:03 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 19:39, Rod Roark wrote:
> Anyone know what happens if you install SuSE X86-64 RPMs on a P-4
> machine?  I'm working (remotely) with a client who seems to have
> installed his system this way, but it's not crashing... wondering if
> I should insist on a reinstall.
>
> Thanks for any wisdom...

There are P-4's with em64t and there are P-4's without em64t. This one
has em64t, and a 64bit distro installed, so you're good to go.

You, of course, should cat /proc/cpuinfo to make sure that what I said
is true. See http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2006/01/msg00154.html
for how to tell whether a processor is a 64-bit processor.

(Intel should be up to the Nonium, or Decium processor now, or maybe the
P5, but no... They decide to confuse us by not renaming their chips
even when they greatly change them)

--Ken