[vox-tech] Dying Power Supply killed drive

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 1 20:24:32 PST 2006

So, before I could migrate machines, which was next on my list of things
to do, 1/2 my power supply went out.
The 1/2 that kept my hard drive going of course; when I figured this out
I got the drive booted off the remaining lines and at least got it to
see the hard drive.
Linux started to boot, kernel unpacking, then somewhere in the middle of
initialization before X starts it just hangs & jumps me from the Ubuntu
"uncompressing kernel..."

Ok, so how do I recover the drive?
-Knoppix and make some tweaks?maybe find a bootlog

-reinstall the OS and remount my home, I think I have a copy of /etc in
my home that I could restore (I don't think it has my most recent Zope
and Cups tweaks from last weekend but I could redo those)

-Pop the HD into another machine and rescue the files then move them to
a fresh machine

I've used many a program in windows to recover lost files on windows for
Fat & NTFS but never for EXT3, what should I use?

Thanks,
Alex