[vox-tech] Firefox "find" utility

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue Jun 20 11:20:16 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:09:35AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I find the FF find feature to be weaker than what I've come to expect from
> > Unix tools.  For example, it would be really nice to specify regex type
> > syntax, like
> >
> >    ^foo
> >
> > to find the substring "foo" abutted against the left margin.
>

> Wouldn't that depend
> on how wide your brower
> is and how things are
> word-wrapping? ;^)
>
> I guess maybe you meant "at the beginning of a paragraph," "in the leftmost
> cell of a table," "just after a <br> line break", etc.?

I doubt that's what he meant. After all, though it /does/ depend on how
your browser is, it's the browser that is performing the search in the
first place: it knows where all the line breaks are.

Myself, I'd probably never use ^ in firefox (unless the document were
actually plaintext); but there's scads of times when I would've wanted
basic regex support... The "dot" character, character classes, maybe
word boundaries...

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/