[vox-tech] Re: a comment on Pete's fast-loop question

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 19 13:27:44 PDT 2006

> On Sun 18 Jun 06, 12:06 AM, Norm Matloff <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu> said:

> > There is even a book on this, I believe in the Intel Press series.

> Definitely sounds like a book I should pick up.  I'll Google for it!

I believe the book I had in mind was The Software Optimization Cookbook,
by Richard Gerber, Intel Press,  I actually have a copy (too bad you're
in New Jersey), and though I have not yet gotten around to reading it, I
would point out that even though one of the chapters is explicitly about
memory, the others constantly bring in memory issues.

For instance, one thing I should have mentioned yesterday in the context
of your loop question is loop unrolling.  You may have seen this before
if you've read anything about pipelines, but it would be especially
useful from the point of view of minimizing cache misses.

Norm