[vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Ryan cjg5ehir02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jun 16 17:56:39 PDT 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 05:31 pm, Rick Moen rick-at-linuxmafia.com |lugod|
wrote:

> 3.  We Were Here First.  Speaking for myself, I'll be damned if I'll
> abandon port 22 just because a bunch of cretin kiddies and Russian
> mafiosi with automated 'sploit code and dictionary files want to conduct
> doorknob-twisting on it.  Likewise, it's beneath my dignity to obscure
> my e-mail address just because someone might try to send it adverts for
> dubious investment opportunities.  Do those guys think they're better at
> Internet management than the open-source technical community is?   Well,
> they're wrong, and they can kiss my shiny Exim rulesets.

SSH is very easy to configure client-side to default to diffrent ports for
diffrent hosts, and that is a one-time operation (you don't use SSH from
untrusted hosts, do you?[1]).  And I do want to know about any cracking
attempts, but at the same time I want to reduce the volume of them that get
to talk to my server.  Likewise, I make my email addresses hard to come by
because that is easier then deailing with large volumes of spam.  But
everyone is of course entitled to thier own opinion.

[1] This is not directed at anyone specificly.

--
Ryan Castellucci - http://ryanc.org/