[vox-tech] Tracking down a "redirect"

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Wed Jun 14 15:16:50 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:30:54PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> We're having a strange domain resolution issue, and it's stumped me.  Here's
> the setup.
>
> Domain http://unexdlc.ucdavis.edu should be resolving to IP address
> 152.79.198.9.  However, it is instead resolving to http://extensiondlc.net,
> which is an entirely different IP address.  Similarly, typing
> http://152.79.198.9 into a browser brings up extensiondlc.net, which should
> not be happening.
>
> When the physical computer which hosts .9 is disconnected from the network,
> the redirect does not happen.
>
> There is nothing in the Apache configuration file on .9 which should account
> for this behavior.  When I execute a traceroute, I'm redirected immediately
> on the first hop to extensiondlc.
>
> We're trying to find out where this might be happening.  Can anyone offer some
> suggestions?

>From your description, it's clear that it has nothing to do with Apache
or HTTP.

You say "... should be resolving to IP address 152.79.198.9." However,
according to dig:

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;unexdlc.ucdavis.edu.           IN      A

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    unexdlc.ucdavis.edu.    7200    IN      CNAME   extensiondlc.net.
    extensiondlc.net.       86364   IN      A       204.11.233.24

so, in fact it isn't. It looks like the UCD nameservers are
misconfigured.

--
HTH,

Micah J. Cowan