[vox-tech] mplayer color problem

Mark K. Kim lugod2 at cbreak.org
Tue Jun 13 10:55:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:49:26AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> I didn't even think to check changing the video driver because the problem
> seemed persistant across different applications.  Didn't occur to me that
> they could all be using the same video drivers.
>

> The problem seems to only occur with the SDL driver, which is fullscreen.

SDL can also use YUV overlay (cf. http://tinyurl.com/l66kc) *or* write
straight to an X11 window.  One way to test whether SDL is using YUV
overlay is to start another application that uses YUV overlay (such as
your TV app) and then run mplayer with SDL video output.  Since you
generally can have only one app that uses YUV overlay, SDL should fall
back on a backup video driver (not the same thing as mplayer's video
output driver), and give you a better color... if it's really the
overlay issue.

Quake 3 on SDL probably uses OpenGL (cf. http://tinyurl.com/h924y).

> I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of MS Windows users.  Video in
> either windowed or fullscreen mode at work "just works".   :(  :(

They usually work (but not always) if you leave it alone.  Most Linux
users tweak their video driver to death.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius