[vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

MB sparkynine at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 11:49:11 PDT 2006

Rick Moen wrote:

>Quoting Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com):
>

>>Our hosting service has (without notice) changed our default ssh port from
>>22 to 22799.  This strikes me as an unusual decision, but I am still a
>>novice at this sort of thing.  Why would a host make such a switch (I
>>won't ask why they wouldn't announce it ahead of time; I'm used to that
>>level of service from them).
>>

>Because they prefer to hide their network services, rather than
>concentrate on reducing actual vulnerability.

Every little bit of security/obsfucation helps.  Security layers are
like an onion.  Moving the default port of SSH is just another layer
that will throw off a whole bunch of port scanners, and let them
concentrate on easier target hosts.

Just changing the SSH port probably removes 90% of the threats with 10%
of the effort.

-Just my 2 cents-
-M