[vox-tech] Wireless Networking Confusion

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jun 12 09:46:49 PDT 2006

Alex Mandel wrote:
> [...]
>> 	wireless-key open
>> #those are essential to clear the settings from whatever network you may
>> #have previously been connected to.
>>
>> #bring this up as #ifup wlan0=ling
>> #take it down as #ifdown wlan0
>> iface ling inet dhcp
>> 	wireless-essid LingCogLab
>> 	wireless-key 0123456789
>>
>> #bring this up as #ifup wlan0=home
>> iface home inet dhcp
>> 	wireless-essid kenapt
>> 	wireless-key 0123456789
>>
>> (etc...)
>>
>> And I have sudo configured to allow ifup and ifdown without a password
>> And I have a menu in fluxbox for connecting/disconnecting from all of my
>> various wireless networks. I'm very particular to use the menu to
>> connect/disconnect because I don't want to accidentally shut down eth0
>> on my desktop while I'm connected by ssh. I suppose it's also possible
>> to use ifrename or udev to rename eth0 on your laptop to something else
>> so that it doesn't match your desktops/servers, so you can't take down
>> your desktop/server's eth0 by autopilot.
>>
>>   [submenu] (Internet)
>>     [exec] (Connect to Ethernet) {xterm -e sudo ifup eth0}
>>     [exec] (Disconnect from Ethernet) {xterm -e sudo ifdown eth0}
>>     [nop]
>>     [submenu] (Connect to Wireless)
>>       [exec] (Home) {xterm -e sudo ifup wlan0=home}
>>       [exec] (IIT) {xterm -e sudo ifup wlan0=iit}
>>       [exec] (LingCog) {xterm -e sudo ifup wlan0=ling}
>>       [exec] (Sunnyvale) {xterm -e sudo ifup wlan0=svl}
>>       [exec] (any) {xterm -e sudo ifup wlan0}
>>     [end]
>>     [exec] (Disconnect from Wireless) {xterm -e sudo ifdown wlan0}
>>   [end]
>>
>> I haven't figured out how to make wpasupplicant work for me in Debian
>> yet.
>>
>> I have the resolvconf package installed to manage /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> [bloom at cat-in-the-hat ~]$ apt-cache show resolvconf
>> Package: resolvconf
>>  Resolvconf is a framework for keeping track of the system's
>>  information about currently available nameservers. It sets
>>  itself up as the intermediary between programs that supply
>>  nameserver information and programs that use nameserver
>>  information. Examples of programs that supply nameserver
>>  information are: ifupdown, DHCP clients, the PPP daemon and
>>  local nameservers. Examples of programs that use this
>>  information are: DNS caches, resolver libraries and the
>>  programs that use them.
>>  .
>>  This package may require some manual configuration.  Please
>>  read the README file for detailed instructions.
>> (For me, it didn't require any manual configuration)
>>
>> --Ken Bloom
>>

> I've had similar experience, network-manager worked for me under Breezy
> but has since stopped working in Dapper, it doesn't detect any of my
> wireless cards. I occasionally have luck with wifi-radar but that's hit
> or miss and usually only works once I have the ssid in my interfaces file.

There seems to be an issue with network-manager in Dapper, but I have it
working flawlessly, managing both wireless (encrypted and open) and
wired networks. See
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=134251for details. The gist
of it is that the /etc/network/interfaces should have no definitions in
there. network-manager manages all those by itself. That's what got it
to work on my laptop (Sony VAIO VGN-S380).

Sameer