[vox-tech] Wireless Networking Confusion

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Jun 11 16:12:39 PDT 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 16:07, Richard Harke wrote:
> My laptop is configged to use a wired connection also. I have a jack in the
> dining area in case I work on the dining room table. But I found I had to
> do a ifdown eth0 (the wired connection) before eth1 would work. eth0 is
> auto but eth1 is not. I also want to use the wireless at hotspots and that
> turned out to be quite a hassle. I have a mapping stanza in the interfaces
> file and that took a while to get working. What works is
> LOGICAL=HOME ifup eth1   The environment var LOGICAL is then
> used in my script that is called from mapping stanza. There is
> another name for a hotspot config. One issue remains.
> If I go out to a hotspot, when I come home it does not work cleanly.
> I have to manually modify resolvconf as it continues to have the hotspot
> DNS enteries.
> This is Kubuntu, Breezy Badger
> Richard harke

I ended up simply creating two separate stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces,
and commenting out the undesired one depending on my location.  It's kind of
a hassle, but I don't go many places with hotspots all that often.

I'd like to see more details about how you did this.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie