[vox-tech] Strange Apt Speed Improvement

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 20:57:11 PDT 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 09:26, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've been using Debian for the last year and a half.  Up until the
> last two weeks "apt-get update" or "aptitude update" has taken from 2
> to 5+ minutes to update the package lists.  For the last two weeks
> "update" has taken a matter of seconds.  I have no idea why there has
> been such a remarkable improvement, but it is nice.

They finally implemented (at the request of countless dialup users) a
method of storing a series of recent diffs the package lists, so you
only need to download the parts that's changed. In prior time, there
used to be a script apt-rsync that people could use for that. This is
less CPU intensive on the server because it uses static precomputed
diffs.

They haven't come up with any similar solution for the .debs themselves
yet, but that sounds a lot harder as most people can't keep the old
debs lying around on their system to diff against them.

--Ken