[vox-tech] Hard Drive Partitioning Errors

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Tue Jun 6 16:13:37 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 15:27, Ryan wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 10:32 am, Richard Crawford
> rscrawford-at-mossroot.com
>
> |lugod| wrote:
> |
> > I've taken that bad HD out of my computer and I'm messing around with it
> > now. There's nothing critical on the disk, so I'm attempting to run some
> > tests and see if anything can be done with it.
> >
> > Executing:
> >
> > $ sudo e2fsck -c /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hdb isn't a partition.

This is true.  My thought originally had been that since the drive was just
going to hold data, it wasn't all that necessary to divide it up into
partitions.  I figure I've got quite a bit to learn about this process,
though.  As evidenced by the output of parted, though, it's a moot point; the
drive is hosed anyway.

Side note: I had left the drive in my computer as a slave drive for awhile
while working on other projects this afternoon, even though it wasn't
working.  When I shut down my computer just now and removed the drive, I
discovered that it was hot; almost too hot to touch, in fact.  I can't
imagine that this is good.  None of the other components were overly warm.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie