[vox-tech] Hosed HD

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Jun 5 08:52:22 PDT 2006

Turns out that I'm stupid, and it wasn't the IDE controller on my mother board
that was broken; it was the disc itself that wasn't bootable.  I burned a new
copy of the installation media, and it works just fine.

However, this hard drive which I'm currently having problems with is the third
hard drive that this computer has burned through.  The first two were IBM
Desk Star HD's, and I didn't give it much thought because that model is
notoriously unstable, from what I've heard.  But this new one is supposed to
be much better, yet it only lasted a year.

Is the fact that I'm on my third hard drive in six years indicative of
something more deeply wrong with my system than just my bad luck in buying
hard drives?

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie