[vox-tech] SSH Troubles

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Thu Jul 20 19:27:38 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 07:28:40PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
> > Today I've been trying to connect to my SSH server, and although I can
> > connect using SSH via my LAN, when I attempt to connect from my work
> > machine, or even while I'm at home through my VLAN, the connection
> > fails.

> > <much snippage>

> While not much help, I've noticed sometimes when do apt-get updates
> especially major releases my config files get scrambled and things stop
> working. Take a look with a text editor at some of your ssh config files
> in /etc/ssh and see if anything looks like gibberish.
> I've had this problem with apache, zope and a few other things mostly
> when I did an OS upgrade between versions.

That was one of the first things I checked when I got home from work
this evening... the sshd_config file hasn't been modified recently and
all of the keys in /etc/ssh/ remain in their original states. In any
case, I'm generally pretty careful about not automatically accepting
dpkg's replacement config files without diffing them against my system
first.

> You could also try to roll back to the previous version and see if it
> works then.

That's an idea that I'm trying to avoid thinking about. ;-)

--
Marc Elliot Hall
www.hallmarc.net