[vox-tech] Unable to login as root

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at comcast.net
Thu Jul 20 16:48:40 PDT 2006

Chris Horsting wrote:
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>> Chris Horsting wrote:
<snip>

>> For your root login issue, are you trying to login to Gnome, KDE, or
>> something else?
>>
>> Jonathan
<snip>>
> I am login into KDE.

OK, around KDE 3.4, the default is you cannot login to KDE as root.
Find where the file kdmrc is located:

$ locate kdmrc

Mine is at /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.  Open it up in a text
editor and change any and all lines that read

AllowRootLogin=false

AllowRootLogin=true

Save the file and restart X.  Then you can login as root.

Jonathan