[vox-tech] digitising tape

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jul 19 10:50:55 PDT 2006

Richard Harke wrote:
> I have some tapes I want to digitise. I did this once before and
> it was easy but I have forgotten just what I did and now I can't
> seem to get it to work. I have a cassette player connected
> to the line in on my sound card and when I play the tape I get
> the appropriate sound from my PC's speakers. I have alsamixer
> open and did have to bring up the line in volume. I have tried
> Krec and arecord. The Vu meter in Krec does not show anything.
> Both programs produce files with all zero samples. I don't think
> it is a permissions problem, doesn't work for root either. (my user
> is a member of audio group)
>
> Any guesses to what my frazzled brain has forgotten?
>
> Richard harke
I like to use audacity for this. I'm not sure about on linux but when I
use it on windows it lets me toggle between the different possible
inputs and has a little monitor in the top of the screen to show
incoming sound. Keep changing the input until you find the one that has
the sound. Then start the tape over and hit the record.

Alex