[vox-tech] Unable to login as root

Chris Horsting horsting at csus.edu
Tue Jul 18 20:15:00 PDT 2006

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Chris Horsting wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I was having problem accessing website from fedora 4.0 box, so I
>> thought it might be a user permission problem. When I tried to login
>> as root, Fedora did not let me login.  Also, regarding the Internet
>> connection, I am able to get site like google, but apache.org.
>
> Your question is a bit unclear... "but apache.org" isn't a complete
> thought.
> If you cannot get to some websites, your network routing tables or
> DNS configuration may be broken.  If that is the case then the "ping"
> command will have problems with those host names as well... but if "ping"
> works, then it is more likely a browser configuration problem.
>
> Browsing: User permissions on an internet client machine don't normally
> affect your ability to browse the web... though if you are setting up
> a website on a hosting service then user permissions may be a problem
> on that server.
>
> Superuser access: I don't use Fedora, but you can usually only log in
> as root from selected devices and you don't say whether this is remote
> or local, or in X or via console. Try logging in as a normal user and
> use "su" or "sudo" to accomplish your administrative tasks. Some
> distributions (like Ubuntu) have given up on root logins and only
> allow administration to be performed with sudo.
>
> Serving: If you are trying to perform administrative tasks on a computer
> that is serving web pages to the internet at large, and are having
> difficulty getting root access when you know the password, it is
> possible that your box has already been "owned" and it is time to backup
> and wipe the hd.

I ping www.google.com, www.csus.edu and www.apache.org.  I there was a
connection at www.google.com and www.csus.edu, but with
www.apache.org.   Also, I used FireFox on my window box and was able to
reach apache. Also,  both computers use the same connection.  Thanks for
telling me about not be able to login as root.  In Fedora 3.0, it was
possible to login as root.  Right now, I have a new hard drive and I was
planning to re-install fedora 4.0.  May be that will solve my problem.
Thanks
Chris