[vox-tech] CUPS Doen't Work on Debian

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Thu Jul 6 08:52:37 PDT 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 08:42, Bob Scofield wrote:
> The last two CUPS upgrades on Debian have been a nightmare.  The
> next-to-the-last upgrade resulted in an error message saying that the
> parallel port couldn't be found and that CUPS would retry in 30 seconds.
>
> I Googled the problem and learned that the bug had been reported, but it
> was classified as "low priority."  But I could print by doing the
> following.  If I brought up CUPS and went to "Administration" and chose
> "Add Printer" and did *nothing* then my print job would start.
>
> Today Apt upgraded to CUPS 1.2.1.  Now I can't print at all.  The new error
> message is "/usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel failed".  What's more, if I try
> to add a new printer with a different driver, I get nothing but a blank
> page after typing in my user name and password.

Okay, I got it to print by clicking (in CUPS) "Start Printer."  Then after
re-booting, the most recent problem disappeared.  With CUPS 1.2.1 I now
appear to be back to the first problem.  That is, the error message is that
the parallel port can't be found that that there will be a retry in 30
seconds.  Then I can print by bringing up "Add Printer" and maybe click
on "Canon" and do nothing.  Then it prints.

Bob