[vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue Jan 31 19:10:57 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:17:49PM -0800, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> I've got a shortcut on my desktop that launches X with an xterm. I'm
> pretty sure I found it in either $CYGROOT/usr/bin or
> $CYGROOT/usr/X11R6/bin. I'll let you know what it is when I get home,
> unless you find it first.

You should have a file "startxwin.bat" in your /usr/X11R6/bin. Copy a
shortcut to that to your desktop.

<snip>

> However, it may interest you to know that the fact that xterm and other
> clients pop up alongside the other Windows apps is a relatively recent
> /feature/ (root-less X). You can disable it in your XF86Config, I
> believe.

Apparently, you can get the right setting by editing the invocation of
XWin in the startxwin.bat file I just mentioned.... the "-multiwindow"
option is what you probably have enabled, and activates the "integrated
Windows-based window manager." The -rootless option actually uses a
/transparent/ root window with an external window manager. You probably
want to use the -fullscreen option, which does the normal X thing. Then
you'd want to replace the (commented-out) line that starts twm with
whatever wm you'd like to enjoy.

HTH,
Micah