[vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Jan 31 14:07:33 PST 2006

On Tue 31 Jan 06,  2:02 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah at cowan.name> said:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:43:21PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i've never really used cygwin before.  how exactly is X supposed to work?
> >
> > i've run 'startx' just because i didn't know what else to do.  got something
> > that looked like an xterm and was able to run cygwin's gvim from that.  but
> > it seems ... very unsatisfying.
>
> What specifically was unsatisfying?

To start an X environment, I need to launch a DOS shell running bash.  That
gets me an xtermish thing.

And from that xterm, I run things like gvim or a browser.  I'd like to right
click and choose apps like I do in Enlightenment.  Or use a full GUI env
like in KDE.

As it seems, "startx" gives me an xterm from which to launch X apps.  It's
OK, but I'd like to be able to forget I'm using MS Windows.

> > is there a way to just let cygwin take over the entire window?
>
> I'm not sure I know what you mean, here. Which window?

Sorry.  The root MS windows window.  In other words, I'd like to be staring
at Enlightenment or perhaps KDE rather than a few apps sprinkled across the
win32 root window.

Pete